Das Drama des Mittelalters, Vol. 2 PDF

Jump to navigation Das Drama des Mittelalters, Vol. 2 PDF to search This article is about the German city. A powerful and influential centre of commerce in medieval Germany, Braunschweig was a member of the Hanseatic League from the 13th until the 17th century. Today, Braunschweig is the second-largest city in Lower Saxony and a major centre of scientific research and development. The date and circumstances of the town’s foundation are unknown.


Författare: Richard Froning.

Braunschweig in the 16th century, from the Civitates orbis terrarum by Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg. Up to the 12th century, Braunschweig was ruled by the Saxon noble family of the Brunonids, then, through marriage, it fell to the House of Welf. Henry the Lion became so powerful that he dared to refuse military aid to the emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, which led to his banishment in 1182. Henry went into exile in England. During the Middle Ages, Braunschweig was an important center of trade, one of the economic and political centers in Northern Europe and a member of the Hanseatic League from the 13th century to the middle of the 17th century. By the year 1600, Braunschweig was the seventh largest city in Germany.

Landschaftliches Haus, Landtag building of the Duchy and the Free State of Brunswick. In 1806, the city was captured by the French during the Napoleonic Wars and became part of the short-lived Napoleonic Kingdom of Westphalia in 1807. After the Congress of Vienna in 1815, Braunschweig was made capital of the reestablished independent Duchy of Brunswick, later a constituent state of the German Empire from 1871. During the 19th century, industrialisation caused a rapid growth of population in the city, eventually causing Braunschweig to be for the first time significantly enlarged beyond its medieval fortifications and the River Oker. On 8 November 1918, at the end of World War I, a socialist workers‘ council forced Duke Ernest Augustus to abdicate.

In 1944, a subcamp of the concentration camp Neuengamme was established in Braunschweig. Hundreds of prisoners, mostly Jews, lived in brutal conditions and hundreds died from hunger, disease, and overwork. Small sections of the city survived Allied bombing, so remain to represent its distinctive architecture. The cathedral was restored to its function as a Protestant church. Politically, after the war, the Free State of Brunswick was dissolved by the Allied occupying authorities, Braunschweig ceased to be a capital, and most of its lands were incorporated in the newly formed state of Lower Saxony. During the Cold War, Braunschweig, then part of West Germany, suffered economically due to its proximity to the Iron Curtain. On 28 February 1974, as part of a district reform in Lower Saxony, the rural district of Braunschweig, which had surrounded the city, was disestablished.

The major part of the former district was incorporated into the city of Braunschweig, increasing its population by roughly 52,000 people. In the 1990s, efforts increased to reconstruct historic buildings that had been destroyed in the air raid. As of 2015, the population of Braunschweig was 252,768. In 2015, 91,785 people or 36.

13th and 16th centuries with stained glass by Charles Crodel. 13th century, with an adjoining monastery, which is today a museum. 19th century, goes back to the first standing public theatre in Germany, founded in 1690 by Duke Anthony Ulrich. The ducal palace of Braunschweig was bombed in World War II and demolished in 1960. The exterior was rebuilt to contain a palace museum, library and shopping centre, which opened in 2007.

Cistercian monastery, with the surrounding nature reserve and arboretum. Burgplatz, with Castle, Cathedral, lion, and Town Hall. Brunswick Lion, original on display in castle museum. 1Formed in 2011 out of the former boroughs of Wabe-Schunter and Bienrode-Waggum-Bevenrode. Braunschweig’s city centre is mostly a car-free pedestrian zone. Many residents travel around town by bicycle using an extensive system of bicycle-only lanes. The main train station includes a bicycle parking area.

This entry was posted in Geschenkbücher. Bookmark the permalink.